From the Frantic 4:00 PM "What's for Dinner?" to Smiles at the Dinner Table!

About Me

My photo
Lucky enough to be born into an Italian-Irish family I spent many, many hours of my early life with my italian grandmother with the teachings of great and authentic italian cooking. I also spent many days with my irish grandmother who in her own right had a mean tomato sauce as well as the irish fare. Both of my grandmothers helped raise me to have an appreciation of food and family, and I will share with you what my grandmothers, my mother, and others have taught me!!

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Retro Sides

In conducting a poll about the main event for Christmas Dinner it looks like beef and ham are very popular at Christmas time.  Those are both popular in my family as well, but ham is our favorite entree and over the years my mother has orchestrated wonderful side dishes to go along with the main event.

Here is a retro side dish that has been around a long time.  Give it a try!

Sweet potato puff
Ingredients
4 medium sized sweet potatoes
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup light cream or milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup sugar
6 tablespoons butter 
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 bag mini marshmallows
Directions
Bake or boil the sweet potatoes
Drain or remove from skin
Place the potatoes in a bowl and mix in the 3 TBSP butter, light cream or milk, orange juice, vanilla, sugar and cinnamon.  Mix with an electric beater until smooth.
Melt the remaining butter in a bowl and mix in brown sugar.  Sprinkle the mixture over the sweet potatoes and bake on 350 degrees for about 30-35 minutes.  Take the potatoes out of the oven and place mini-marshmallows on top and cook until marshmallows are slightly browned.


Later this week - retro dish #2 on the way!

0 comments: