From the Frantic 4:00 PM "What's for Dinner?" to Smiles at the Dinner Table!

About Me

My photo
Lucky enough to be born into an Italian-Irish family I spent many, many hours of my early life with my italian grandmother with the teachings of great and authentic italian cooking. I also spent many days with my irish grandmother who in her own right had a mean tomato sauce as well as the irish fare. Both of my grandmothers helped raise me to have an appreciation of food and family, and I will share with you what my grandmothers, my mother, and others have taught me!!

Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Retro Side #2

Roasted Brussel Sprouts

I know - you are all saying oh yuck!  Don't turn your noses up yet.  Try this retro side with a plus that is a combo from an idea I got from my brother-in-law Neno Mironti and a little something I came up with.

Ingredients
Brussel Sprouts - fresh from the produce department - about 1 to 2 dozen
Red Onion - 1/2 medium onion
3 pieces of Bacon
Olive Oil
Salt
Pepper
A dash of Garlic Powder

Directions
Preheat oven on 375 degrees
Clean the brussel sprouts - cut off core, peel any loose or damaged leaves, wash and let dry
Cut the sprouts in half
Chop the onion
Cook bacon and set aside
In a baking dish cover the bottom with the olive oil - 2 or 3 turns of the dish
Add brussel sprouts and onion, a pinch of salt, pepper and garlic powder to the baking dish and bake until carmelized and becoming soft. (Approximately 20-25 minutes).
Remove brussel sprouts from the oven, crumble the bacon over the top for the last few minutes of baking.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

ronni said...

hmm sounds good, but the shopping is done, where do you find the sprouts on the core at this time of year

KaneGirl3 said...

As you know throught my text message at Tops but they are loose you silly girl. Or next year we can grow our own!